This marker is located at 512 W. Martin Luther King Blvd. (corner of Martin Luther King Blvd (Waverly St.) and Holland. This church was in existence before the town was founded in 1870, making it the oldest congregation in Willis. The windows on this church are beautiful and really bring out the history behind this building. The building was also used as a school for a number of years. If you are in the Willis area, it’s worth stopping by.
The Historical Marker Reads:
Texas Chapel United Methodist Church
Organized in 1867 as the Thomas Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this congregation is the oldest in Willis and pre-dates the founding of the community. Worship services were held in log and frame buildings and brush arbors before this building was completed in 1899 during the pastorate of the Rev. Edward Lee. Elements of the Gothic Revival style, a style commonly used in church buildings, include the large Gothic window on the front facade, smaller Gothic windows above the entrance, and the square bell tower. It has been a center of community and spiritual life for more than 100 years. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark – 2001