This marker is located at the corner of Waverly and Thomason Street in Willis. The church is one of the oldest in Willis and is very well maintained. On the side of this church is a beautiful garden which has dedication markers and a memorial brick pathway running through it. It is a very peaceful place.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1965
Historical Marker Reads:
Willis Methodist Church
Worshipped in school until this building was erected under Pastors G. S. Sandel, J. M. Pugh, 1877-1879. Pioneer citizen, Capt. T. W. Smith gave bell for steeple. Pews and chancel rail made by cabinet maker E. A. Anderson. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark – 1965 Incise in base : Methodist Church Memorial Fund