As the weekend nears, many people will be getting ready to celebrate Memorial Day. So why is this so important? Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday in May and was first observed in May 1868. The American holiday of Memorial Day was established soon after the Civil War and celebration commemorated the sacrifices of the Civil War. Memorial Day has become a celebration of honor for those who died in all America’s wars, as well as those who are Veterans and current members of the US military. So where ever you are please take the time this Memorial Day to remember our fallen heroes. Here are some ways you can honor our fallen heroes. How will you honor them? Maybe you have some unique ideas you would like to share with us. Please do.
Fly the American flag at half-staff. Do this from sunrise until noon on Memorial Day, in order to show your respect. Keep the US Flag higher than your state, county, or establishment flags. Traditionally, the American flag is the highest, the state flag is in the middle, and all others are beneath them.
- If you have novelty flags, consider removing them temporarily out of respect for this day.
2. Put flowers and flags on graves. You can show your respect by placing items on the graves of friends and family, civilians, and military personnel. If you live far away from the final resting place of anyone you know, decorate the grave of a stranger.
3. Participate in the National Moment of Remembrance. The National Moment of Remembrance encourages all Americans to pause wherever they are at 3:00 pm local time on Memorial Day for a moment of silence to remember and honor those who have died in service to the nation.
4. Thank a veteran. On Memorial Day, you can remember those who fought and lived to tell about it. Take some flowers, books or cookies to a nearby veterans’ hospital. Make your own cards. Homemade cards come direct from your heart which is a tremendous expression of your respect.
5. Spend time with family. Whether you throw a barbecue, go to a party, or simply relax in your backyard, Memorial Day is a great day to spend with people you love. If you have children, explain that this is a day to honor our military veterans and fallen soldiers.