This Historical Marker is located at the corner of Jensen and Navigation. The Texas Historical Atlas Map shows this marker way south of its actual location. This is a beautiful church and school. The church has been in existence for over 100 years. The motto for this church is “Nuestra Casa es Su Casa” which means Our house is your house. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were sent to begin Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in 1912. The school opened for classes on Septmeber 8, 1912. It is the oldest Catholic school in Houston. The property has been owned by the Diocese since about 1856. St. Vincents Cemetery (the oldest Catholic Cemetery in Houston) is located on the property as well.
Please see the history of the school below
Historical Marker Reads:
Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
In 1911, Houston’s Church of the Immaculate Conception sent four Oblate priests to establish a mission church to serve the city’s Spanish-speaking population. At that time, Houston’s Mexican community was growing rapidly, absorbing many refugees that were fleeing the Revolution of 1910. After purchasing this block, the Oblates built a wood-frame structure here and named it for Mexico’s patron saint. The building served as both church and school, and services and classes were in Spanish. Sr. Benitia Vermeerch began a 23-year career as school principal in 1915, and later founded the Missionary Catechists of Divine Providence. In 1921, when the mission was elevated to parish status, one of the four founding priests, Father Esteban de Anta, a native of Spain, became the first pastor. Construction on a second church building commenced that year, and it was dedicated two years later. In 1973 the Sacred Heart order assumed responsibility for the church, but its traditional role ministering to immigrant communities remained the same. Still a focal point for Houston’s Mexican American community, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church became the home church to many Central American and Vietnamese refugees in the 1970s.
Historical Marker Year 1991