This Historical Marker is located in Downtown Navasota. This building along with others in this town where destroyed by fire in 1865 when a warehouse filled with cotton and gunpowder exploded after it was torched by disgruntled Confederate veterans. The blast killed at least 8 people.
The side of the building shows some of the original brick.
Historical Marker Reads:
Eliza Johnson (d. 1876) had this building constructed in 1874 following a fire which destroyed several structures on the block. It was made of limestone rubble to comply with a city ordinance requiring all new construction to include fireproof materials. August Horst (d. 1920), a local investor, bought the building in 1877 and sold it two years later to his wife’s brothers, E.P. and J. H. Mickelborought. Members of their families owned it until 1929. The building has housed a saloon, grocery confectionary, ice cream parlor, and offices for attorneys and dentist.