This historical marker is located at 239 East Commerce St. in Downtown San Antonio. It is now a law office. The building was constructed to house the San Antonio National Bank that George W. Brackenridge and others organized in 1866. It was designed by Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, a New York architect.
Historical Marker Reads:
Old San Antonio National Bank Building
This structure was built to house the San Antonio National Bank, organized by George W. Brackenridge and others in 1866 as the first federally chartered banking institution in the city. Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, A New York architect, designed the building using limestone mined from area Quarries. Completed in 1886, it served as the fourth structure for the bank. The Victorian design features Moorish arches, ornate ironwork, and a decorative southeast corner tower. The bank occupied the facility until 1970.
Recorded Marker Year 1979