This Historical Marker is located at 811 Caroline St. in the Town of Montgomery. The site was purchased by John E. Shelton in 1855 who was the builder of many of the older homes in Montgomery. He built the main portion of the house in 1858 for Capt. Thomas W. Smith, whose family owned it until 1924.
There have only been four owners of this home. The current owner restored the structures on this site, including a slave quarters on the property. There are three structures on the property, the main house, a former slave quarters and a large greenhouse.
The home is now The Caroline House Bed and Breakfast. Current owners repaired the main house, turned the slave quarters into a honeymoon suite and made a lodge-style guest house out of the former greenhouse.
Side View of Home
Street View of Home
Historical Marker Reads:
The Shelton-Smith House
A part of this house may have existed as early as 1855, when site and improvements were sold to John E. Shelton. He was a master craftsman who built other fine houses prior to 1860. Shelton built the main portion about 1858 for his friend and business partner, Thomas Wesley Smith (1829-1902), who later was a leading cigar manufacturer in this county. Smith and his heirs owned the house until 1924. A granddaughter added the dormers in a 1922 remodeling. The 1924-1970 owners were the Thomas A. Gay family. Mr. and Mrs. K. M. Whisenant now (1976) preserve it.
Recorded Marker Year 1976