This Historical Marker is located at 241 Earl Garrett Street
This building has housed many businesses throughout its 130 years of existence. This is one of the oldest buildings in Kerrville.
No one is certain who actually built this building but it is speculated that the builder was Bruno Schott. He built more than 200 homes and business here in Kerrville.Schott was a German who immigrated to America in 1882 from Saxony. He is credited with building the Kerrville Telephone Company, the Wheelus Studio building. the Tivy High School, the Schreiner Store in 1890, and Schreiner Wool House just to name a few.Its hard to imagine that this building is over 100 years old. It is well preserved. The Guthrie Building is a very important part of Kerrville’s history.Historical Marker Reads:
In continuous use since 1887, this building is one of the oldest in Kerr County. It is named for newspaper publisher Robert Guthrie, who was born in Scotland where generations of his family ran the same newspaper. Robert established the Kerrville Eye in May 1884 as the successor to the News that his father John began printing in 1882. John also published papers in Bandera and Boerne. In May 1887, Robert Guthrie bought this property for a new office for his newspaper and other commercial interests. Contractor W.B. Davies finished the stone building by the fall for the sum of $2,600. The Guthrie Hotel operated on the second floor. In November 1888, Guthrie sold his building and newspaper business to Ed Smallwood, who changed the name of the Kerrville Paper. Smallwood was elected on of Kerrville’s first aldermen in 1889, and he ran the Paper until August 1899, when Jesse Grinstead bought the business and changed the name to the Mountain Sun. Grinstead was Kerrville’s mayor from 1902 to 1904 and was later elected to the state legislature. He continued publishing the newspaper at this location until 1907. Later tenants included Kerrville’s City Hall on the second floor (1910-1937), and the Wheelus Photographic Company on the first floor (1921-1960). Cleveland and Gertrude Wheelus built a projecting addition with two glass display windows in 1926, but it was removed in the 1980s when the building was restored to its original appearance. The Guthrie Building is a two-story Italianate style commercial structure. Walls are 15-inch thick limestone from a quarry just east of Kerrville. Ashlar stones are laid in irregular courses, and prominent architectural features include belt courses, smooth dressed window lintels and sills, quoins, and a two-story full-length gallery porch with decorative cornice and dentils. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2007 Marker is property of the state of Texas.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark Year 2007